Chris Cornell’s Passing Inspires Great Tributes from Fellow Musicians – Performances Round Up (UPDATED)
Everytime an angel falls, it makes tons and tons of humans weeping and crying over its passing and it happened when Soundgarden’s frontman Chris Cornell ended his own life a while ago. The passing of Chris Cornell shocked us since few hours before, he was still performing with Soundgarden who have just reunited and embarked on a tour. The autopsy shows that Cornell was found dead due to hanging and the news terribly saddened fellow friends and musicians. Several covers of Soundgarden’s songs surface and tributes are given out of respect for the late singer.
1. First one comes from Norah Jones, who became the first artist who sang on the same venue that Soundgarden last performed with Cornell which is at Detroit’s Fox Theater. She took her piano and brought a jazzy rendition of Soundgarden’s biggest hit “Black Hole Sun” and Norah Jones managed to put quite a show with her rawness and the ballad becomes her own without diminishing the spirit of the grunge band. Media outlet, Stereogum, point out a great idea that since now on every act who perform there should pay a tribute to Soundgarden or Audioslave, the bands in which Cornell involved in.
2. The second tribute comes from his own band, Soundgarden, who performed for the first time without its leading member. Tom Morello, Tim Commerford, and Brad Wilk were in the studio rehearsing for Prophet of Rage’s summer tour according to The PRP, and then the tribute performance of “Like A Stone” happened. The session was shot and shared through their Facebook page and it is the instrumental version of the song. We can still hear and remember Chris singing the lyrics to this song.
3. Eddie Vedder, the frontman of Pearl Jam and friend as well as long-time collaborator of Chris Cornell has just kicked off his solo world tour in Amsterdam and he brought several songs and rendition as a homage to his dear friend without mentioning him. On the pics taken during the concert, Vedder seemed very heartbroken and deeply affected by the passing of Cornell. He performed Fugazi‘s song “I’m So Tired” as well as songs from Neil Young, John Lennon, and Cat Power with full emotion.
4. Guns N’ Roses also penned a tribute for Chris Cornell singing “Black Hole Sun” during their concert in Ireland. It was met with warm response from fans who was in attendance and filmed the whole performance. The band’s guitarist formerly collaborated with the late singer on his solo endeavor, as cited on Stereogum.
5. Chester Bennington of Linkin Park who is also Cornell’s close friend performed a rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” during Chris Cornell’s memorial service and it was mesmerizing even though only a snippet of this performance was revealed through Linkin Park’s Twitter account.
— Linkin Park Live (@LPLive) May 26, 2017
6. Chris Cornell proved that his influence is beyond his own genre and country singer, Eric Church, paid tribute to the man with his cover of “Rusty Cage”. It is a song that originally belongs to Johnny Cash, but Soundgarden covered it. Church performed the Soundgarden version of the song.
7. Josh Klinghoffer, the guitarist of Red Hot Chilli Peppers put out a performance of “Seasons”, a song from Soundgarden while also showing his vocal pipes. Red Hot Chilli Peppers stopped by Indianapolis for their tour when the tribute happened.
8. Megadeth with Dave Austaine joined forces to perform “Outshined” by Soundgarden during their performance in Tokyo, Japan. It happened after the news of Chris Cornell’s death broke on the internet and Dave also said a little eulogy for him, “We lost one of the most beautiful voices in rock history.” Watch their “Outshined” performance below.
9. Ryan Adams also took a chance to pay tribute to Chris Cornell during his concert in Auckland, New Zealand. He performed a full set rendition of “Black Hole Sun” in remembrance of the late singer.
10. Ann Wilson, half of legendary band, Heart, also did a live performance of “Black Hole Sun” during her visit to late night show, Jimmy Kimmel Live. Watch it here.
11. This one comes from Chris Cornell’s own bloodline which is his own brother, Peter Cornell. Unlike previous tributes, he wrote a lengthy post on his Facebook showing his mourning towards his brother’s shocking death. He also attached two photos showing the first time they were together with and the last time they met. It is such a heartfelt post and in the end he thanks all of the condolences and comforting words that are sent to their family.
12. The Pretty Reckless, a rock band fronted by former TV star Taylor Momsen also paid homage to the late singer with their cover of Audioslave’s song “Like A Stone”. She did a decent job singing this song with minimal instrumental during their concert at New Jersey.
13. Aerosmith took a little time during their concert to put on an image of Chris Cornell with “Black Hole Sun” playing in the background before presenting their hit song “Dream On” to tribute him. Here is the fan taken performance of their tribute.
14. Death Cab for Cutie took time during their show in Seattle to perform one of Soundgarden’s iconic song “Fell On Black Days”. It is played in a more folk sounding manner with acoustic guitar and stuff, watch it here
Chris Cornell was laid to rest on May 30 at Hollywood Forever Cemetery with star studded attendance including Brad Pitt, Pharrell Williams, Lars Ulrich from Metallica, and many more. He left behind a wife, and three children from this marriage and previous one. We will keep updating tribute performances and cover dedicated to Cornell, but first here is the final performances from Soundgarden’s sold-out concert at Fox Theater.
Sources: Stereogum/Consequence of Sounds/The PRP/E! News